I am a big fan of getting out of my small town and going on adventures. I am advocate of continued learning because I don’t know everything. I am also a fan of dates that are outside of the box.
My boyfriend normally leaves the planning to me. Even if we just go to a movie. Last Friday our adventure lead us to a place neither of us had been since we were kids. The Orlando Science Center!
I felt like a little bit of creeper because there were so many little kids with their moms or on a school field trip. We were the lone 20-something year olds just hanging out. Luckily, we arrived after lunch so many of the field trips were winding down.
A few things I learned and did you know?
- The universe contains over 100 billion galaxies.
- Giraffes only sleep for about 20 minutes in a 24 hour period. And they never lie down.
- Fleas can jump 150 times their own body length and 80 times their height.
- A cat has at least 20 sets of muscles in each ear.
- Camels, Penguins and Alligators all have 3 eyelids in each eye!
- Honey is the only food that doesn’t spoil.
- A sneeze can exceed the speed of 100 miles per hour.
- Astronauts can not belch – there is no gravity to separate gas from liquid in their stomach.
- There are about 60,000 miles of blood vessels in the human body.
- A falling rain drop can hit you at speeds as fast as 18 miles per hour.
Those are just a few of the interesting facts I learned. Alex and I had a lot of fun goofy off with the toys and all the hands on activities. We made our own weather forecast: I had a blizzard in Orlando, Alex chose tornadoes. After the meteorologist predicted tornadoes, we stepped inside the hurricane tunnel. Finally, I let him beat me in a giant game of Operation, maybe he should be a Doctor?
When I was younger, one of my favorite things about the science center was the shows in the CineDome. I decided we should take in the Holiday Laser Light show! We saw the dinosaur exhibit, a new guitar exhibit and some real live Florida Alligators.
Once our Did You Know adventure wrapped up, we took a leisurely stroll around the near by Lake Eola, which is in the heart of beautiful Downtown Orlando!
Our evening ended with dinner, shopping and games!